Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The easiest gluten free cookie in the world

Gluten free cookies are not as hard to make as, say, gluten free sponge cakes (ugh, sponge cakes), but it's still the case that they can take a bit of fiddling to get right. So I thought I might share my failsafe easy everyday cookie recipe for gluten free sugar cookies, which I've developed over time and tweaked until it's basically bulletproof - and, more to the point, toddler-proof! I make these cookies often and they are my go-to baked sweet treat in busy weeks like this one, because 3 year old C and I can make them and have the kitchen cleaned up afterwards in half an hour.

These sugar cookies are quite plain and, despite their name, not too sweet, with a basic cookie texture and a firm smooth surface. The dough is quick and non-fiddly to prepare, they cook in 6-7 minutes, and they are perfect for icing or decorating. They keep well in airtight storage for up to 3 weeks. What's not to like?



Gluten free sugar cookies
Ingredients
3/4 cup butter or margarine (I usually use margarine)
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 3/4 cups gluten free plain all purpose flour
1 teaspoon xanthum gum
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder


Method
Cream the butter / margarine with the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and xanthum gum together, then mix into the creamed butter mixture. Keep mixing until it forms a dough ball.

(You can then chill the dough for an hour but I usually can't be bothered and it still works fine if you don't.)

Roll out the dough onto a well floured board and cut out your cookies. Transfer to flat baking sheets lined with baking paper. Bake in a preheated hot oven (190-200C) for 6-7 minutes.

Makes 25-30 cookies depending on the size of your cutters. Enjoy! (We do :-)

5 comments:

  1. Definitely passing this on to my friend whose hubby is coeliac :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I'm always on the lookout for an easy sugar biscuit recipe for decorating. This might just be out next "rainly day" activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, my children can make them for my husband. Thanks :) Rx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. We don't have any gluten intolerances here, but it's good to have access to these recipes just in case.

    ReplyDelete