Friday, November 4, 2011

Things I Know

This week, I know that some days are yellow, some days are blue (to quote the late, great Dr Seuss).

I know that Halloween dressing up and trick or treating might not be an Australian tradition, and that it makes a lot of people on Twitter very grumpy, but that it sure is fun for the kids, and actually really nice communal time for the kids in our street.

I know that I'm glad to have Halloween as a force with which to push back against the absurdity of Christmas marketing in September. "Nothing Christmassy til after Halloween" works!

I know that Melbourne Cup Day has an entirely different resonance for me now that I have three children, and do NaNoWriMo each year. No more champagne, chicken, strawberries and carousing, but instead I have cuddles, stories and a writing sprint :-)

I know that it's getting to be a long time since husband and I last had a few hours together without any of the kids, and the strain of that is starting to show.

I know that this makes me all the more excited about our tickets to see k d lang next Saturday night - grandparent babysitting, and 5 hours out for us!

For more things that people know, check out the post at Yay for Home!

This post is part of NaBloPoMo. 4 down, 26 to go!

6 comments:

  1. oh, I hear you on not getting kid-free time with husband - we managed to sneak off for an hour when we were in melbourne a couple of weeks ago, but it had been almost a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, almost a year - that's a while!

    We had 4 hrs back in July when big kids were at school holiday club and toddler at creche - we went into town & had a beautiful lunch at MoVida. It was great. Before that, it would've been New Year's Eve, when we went to see TRON at the cinemas and my parents babysat. Every 5-7 months seems to be our average.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your date with hubby next week ;p Sometimes hubby and I take time off work to have some time alone too.. just a simple meal and maybe movie heh.

    Your kids had cute Halloween costumes! It's not a big thing over here in Singapore too..

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need kid free time too. I must organise that soon. Halloween trick or treating got the neighbours out in my street too, I thought it was fantastic and the kids had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kd lang, nice :)

    We had a movie night last night, Julie & Julia, his choice. Last movie was The King's Speech, or The King's Peach as Miss 5 calls it. Dvd's, obviously because we don't get to leave the house together, that would be ... unimaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. November sounds very productive for you. Good luck with NaNo!

    I agree, Halloween makes children very happy. What could possibly be wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete