Monday, October 25, 2010

Sharing the Love - Blogs I like to read

The ever-lovely Veronica over at Sleepless Nights has started a monthly sharing-the-love meme-thing, whereby she invites readers to share a favourite blog each month. She's so right - you just don't see those kind of "hey, look at this blog" posts much anymore, and it's kind of a shame, because that's how I found some of my perennial favourites. Perhaps it's the changing nature of the blogosphere (and people's relationship to it), but I'm happy to be part of the counter-revolution in this regard.

Anyway, this month I have three blogs to share.

Firstly, although I'm sure most of my readers are already aware of it, I must mention the brilliant, insightful and passionate Spilt Milk. Written by Elizabeth, Spilt Milk is often characterised primarily as a Fat Acceptance blog, but it is much more than that. It is a feminist blog, a humanist blog, a mother's blog, a woman's blog, a writer's blog. It is never less than thought-provoking and often deeply moving.

Secondly, I have been reading, and really enjoying, Irretrievably Broken, a blog ostensibly about a divorce (and life post-divorce) but in fact a blog about a life (in which a divorce has featured). This is a writer who knows how to write - the prose is evocative, engaging, and potent. I find it engrossing.

Thirdly, for something completely different and completely mouth-watering, I'd recommend my friend K's food blog, Inspired by Wolfe. Like me, K is a detective fiction aficionado, and is particularly a fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe, the gourmet eating, orchid loving, uber-crime solver. Her blog documents her culinary adventures in reproducing Wolfe's dishes, cake decorating, and general nomminess. Don't read it if you are hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment